randomness...


My opinions, updates on my life, all sorts of "randomness"...

Thursday, October 12, 2006

 
I know it's been awhile since I posted, but honestly I've just been enjoying myself too much to take the time... So here are the updates (finally) from the past week, complete with pics (which is quite an achievement, since this is the slowest connection ever).

Saturday, October 7
Went to the Kotel in the morning when Heritage House closed, along with one of the other girls who was staying there, Marina (I’m pretty sure that was her name…). It was ridiculously hot out, and the minyan was right against the mechitza (ie right in the sun) so I didn't stay with them the whole time, finished up on my own. Afterwards Marina & I headed over to Ezra's for lunch. Not quite as massive as dinner had been, so there was a little more room to spread out. Spent the rest of the day chilling there, through seudah shlishit ("Third Meal"--dinner on Saturday afternoon), went back to Heritage House for a few minutes after Shabbas to check e-mail and grab my cell, then back to the succah until my "curfew." amazing. Different groups coming and going, great conversations, music, everything...

Sunday, October 8
Heritage House closes from 9am-5pm on weekdays, so when I left in the morning I needed to take my bags with me so I could meet Julie at 11 to give her back her bag. The problem, was I wanted to go to Ezra's minyan at the Kotel, and clearly I couldn't really bring two massive bags with me through security, so I brought my bags over to Ezra's at 8am. Minyan was awesome, tons of singing and everything, but again, super hot, standing in the sun. I ended up standing in back, hiding in the shade of the back barrier to the Kotel. Worked well, except for the Israelis climbing over me to take pictures, but all's good... Anyways, the real problem was that minyan didn't end until 11:45...and I was supposed to meet Julie at 11...and she didn't have a phone...and my bags were locked in Ezra's apartment... by the time I got to the pizza place I was supposed to meet Julie at, it was 12:30! It all worked out though, just knocked on doors until I found the right apartment...

Hung out with Julie and Sam (who just turned 10 weeks a few days ago) that afternoon. Went to Caffit on Emek Refaim for lunch, grocery shopping at Mister Zool...a fun day. Turns out i know tons of people studying with Josh at JTS, from my year as an undergrad at JTS, who are all here for the year. So that night I went out for dinner with Julie, Josh & Sam, and Rebecca & Ari (JTS peeps). Really nice to see them. Then back to the Old City to chill in the succah without having to worry about a curfew!

Monday, October 9
Monday morning was the massive Birkat Cohanim at the Kotel. Oh man was it a scene. As you can see from the pictures, it was mamish wall-to-wall people. I only caught the tail end of the actual Birkat Cohanim, but it was still amazing to be there. Worked my way as far up as I could (which wasn't really so far), and actually ended up getting some great shots of people.



I was supposed to meet Eve for lunch in town, so I headed in that direction to spend some time at the baguette/internet place I used to always go to when I was at Pardes. They didn't seem to have baguettes anymore, but drinks, tons of computers and pretty cheap too...

Cafe Hillel for lunch with Eve, then back to the Old City since Eve hadn't been to the Kotel on Succot yet. Then I took her to Ezra's to chill in the Succah...

Tuesday, October 10

Went to Tel Aviv with a massive group of JTS peeps, including Ari & Rebecca, Jeremy & Rebecca, Raffi, & Eytan. It was really such deja vu to see them all again.. Awesome, though. Went to this art fair at Nachlat Binyamin, fun to walk around, then down to the beach to chill. It was sunny out, the water felt amazing, it really was great. Then I got to see Michal & Gilad, and spent the night at their apartment in Ramat Gan. Such a great neighborhood, and amazing to see them again. Felt a little out of of contect, though, to not be in Chicago. Weird, right?

Wednesday, October 11
Woke up early and caught a bus back to Yerushalyim. Bought a skirt in the Tachanat Merkazit (Central Bus Station), then caught a bus to the Kotel. I think I packed right for Europe, but it's been way too hot here for the clothes I have... Got to the Kotel in time for the end of Minyan. The holes in the mechitza keeps getting larger, so it's getting easier to see through (and take pictures through) it.




Back to the Succah for brunch and to chill... Ezra's sister came over with her adorable one year old son, cute kid.



Went back to Julie & Josh's, did laundry, "babysat" for Sam for a bit while Julie went grocery shopping (how cute is he sleeping on my lap?), then Julie made dinner... Eytan & Raffi came over afterwards, then I went to the Old City for Ezra's party. The party was awesome, kinda a different vibe than has been in the succah the rest of the week, but still really chill, good people...

Hysterical cab ride home super late at night with this driver, Uri, hitting on me the whole time. Let me tell you, Israelis are persistent!


Thursday, October 12
Happy Birthday, PA!

Today's been a chill day... Slept in, tried to help Josh set up Vonage, went to Coffee Shop on Emek for lunch, met Raffi for coffee at Aroma...So I was sitting on a wall outside Aroma on Emek Refaim, saw a man wearing a Michigan hat walk by with his wife. "Go Blue," was obviously my greeting to them. "Did I hear you right?" asked his surprised wife. When I grinned and nodded she continued, "they're having a great season." I love Michigan connections....

It really feels so great just being here. I know there's obviously tough things about living in Israel, but it really just feels so right...I really want to stay...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

September 2003   October 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   October 2007   November 2007   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?