randomness...


My opinions, updates on my life, all sorts of "randomness"...

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

 
Sorry I haven’t updated in a bit, but now I’m (unfortunately) back in the States, so I have time to finish writing about my trip.

Wednesday 1/12

Talia’s last day in Israel, so we spent the day being tourists/last minute shopping. Went to the shuk in the morning (love that place) so Talia could buy Marzipan (mmmmm....Marzipan......) to bring back to the States with her. Then we headed off to the Knesset to watch a session. Most confusing thing ever (my Hebrew was definitely not good enough to completely follow what was going on), but it was super interesting. Nentanyahu was talking about something (the budget, we think) then they voted and it passed. Kinda cool...

So after the Knesset we headed over to the Botanical Gardens. Now it obviously wasn’t as cool as it would have been during a season when more things were in bloom, but it was still interesting. Plus it was a gorgeous day out, which made it super nice to be walking around outside.

Went downtown, did some shopping (more skirts!), then back to the Merkaz so Talia could pack & we could go eat the obligatory falafel before she had to head to the airport. Sad to see her go, but glad that I had gotten to spend so much time with her.

Met up with Josh & Josh, and chilled over at Josh’s friend Zev’s place. Watched this f-ed up episode of Family Guy, the millennium episode or something. That show’s hysterical...

Thursday 1/13

Josh & I went downtown to do some shopping (amazing how much of that I did in Israel!) and then went over to the Conservative Yeshiva for a class. It was really nice... About ideology, a topic that I’ve found is usually avoided in Conservative Judaism. I could see why people love the Yeshiva--it was a nice environment. Not where I’d want to learn, but I can see why people like it.

Went lunch with Josh & Josh, and back to the shuk again, then met up with Ronen to go the the Israel Museum.

The Israel Museum was wonderful. Spent hours there. Sunset in “The Space That Sees” wa awesome. That’s this cool sculpture-ish thing, that’s really just a room with a square cut out of the ceiling. Super peaceful--I could spend hours there. Remembered it from Nativ (last time I’d been at the Israel Museum). The whole museum was great...

After the museum Ronen & I went downtown to meet Carmi. Soooo good to see her. I can’t believe I was in Israel for so long without seeing her (she was staffing Birthright)! Went to Cafe Hillel for dinner, and hung out with her ‘till she had to go pick up Danny from work, then I met up with Sol at Egon. Ran into Ilana Clay for about 2 seconds, as well as Danny Farahan (without his dreads). Awesome. :) One of my favorite parts of Israel...

Friday 1/14

Walked around Emek for awhile, feeling sad that I had so little time left in Israel. Ran into Sharona, so I got to wish her a Mazel Tov in person (she got engaged while I was in Tel Aviv...crazy...).

Went to the shuk with Ronen to get stuff for Shabbas. Ran into Sari Roy at Marzipan. Haven’t seen her in 6 years, and was so busy standing in line that I barely got to talk to her. Ran into Barya also, that was random... Met up with Ariela. SOOO amazing to see her. I missed her!!!

Joined Young Judaea for Shabbat services/dinner. Great to see everyone and had a great chat with Stefan, but I kinda wish I had been at Yakar again.

Saturday 1/15

Walked in the rain to the Old City and met up with Ariela & her friend Laura, and together we walked to Ezra’s for lunch. Wow. Lunch was amazing. I was at his place for so many hours, since I stayed for Seudah Shlishit & Havdalah also. He has these amazing meals, with upwards of 30 people at times crammed into his small apartment. Lots of Bat Ayin people (his yeshiva) but also others. So spiritual. Lots of singing, great people, great conversations... Definitely didn’t want to leave. Ezra has this amazing kavana that you can feel just being near him. It’s like it rubs off on people, just being near him. I admire that.

Saturday night was night-o-saying goodbye to people. After Shabbas Ronen & I met up with Carmi & Danny & a bunch of other Aussies at Coffee Shop on Emek. Super fun. Hard to leave... Then we went downtown & met Ariela. Saw Sol again, and played one last time (for that trip) on Ben Yehudah. Ended up at this cute bar...whose name I forget...with Ronen, & Sari, & Eliana. So fun. Haven’t chilled with Sari & Eli since Nativ--it was really nice.

Sunday-Monday 1/16-1/17
Trip Back...


So sad to leave. I was literally crying as I got on the plane. So tempting to just turn and run, and stay in Israel... I’ve always felt this connection to the land, but lately it’s just been so much stronger. All I can think about is how badly I want to go back there, be in Israel...

The trip back to the States (notice a lack of the word “home”) kinda sucked. Stopped in Zurich for the night, stayed at some little hotel near the airport, and was totally bored, as well as starving. Forgot to bring food with & couldn’t find any Kosher food in Zurich besides a Snickers bar. Added to the suckiness of the whole leaving Israel thing... I was supposed to stay in New York for the night, but seeing as all I wanted to do was cry and I had know idea where I was staying in NY, heading straight back to Michigan seemed like a better idea.
~~~~~~

So that’s where I am now. Back in Michigan, feeling depressed that I’m not in Israel, and trying to figure out how I can afford to get back there for Pesach. I had an amazing, amazing time, with some wonderful people, in the Holy Land. Love it...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

September 2003   October 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   October 2007   November 2007   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?